Monday, March 24, 2008

Sacred Music issue arrived...


I just received my new issue of Sacred Music today... haven't had enough time to read through it entirely. I've been working on preparations for the schola Mass this coming Sunday, as well as trying to get my boys to do their schoolwork and instrument practicing.


However, I did get to read one article in the new issue... the one by Dr. William Mahrt, president of CMAA. He wrote a wonderful piece about (primarily) a Communion chant that I particularly like -- Passer invenit. It is not a particularly easy one, but one that our schola has used a fair amount during Ordinary time.


The Latin:


Passer invenit sibi domum, et turtur nidum, ubi reponat pullos suos: atlaria tua Domine virtutum, Rex meus, et Deus meus: beati qui habitant in domo tua, in saeculum saeculi laudabunt te.


English translation:

The sparrow has found herself a home, and the turtle dove a nest in which to lay her young: at your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God! Blessed are they who dwell in your house, they shall praise you for ever and ever.


The archived Winter 2007 issue is also available online now as well here.

No comments: