Friday, January 23, 2009

Why I Don't Donate to Public Television

Late last night, as I was finishing (yet another) book... this one by Scott Turow... I happened to hear portions of a program on the Public Television station my husband had turned on. I began watching and did see the last 15-20 minutes or so of the show and was reminded again why I don't financially support public TV (aside from my tax dollars -- the spending of which I have no control over). It was an action-packed thriller show where MI-5 (in Great Britain) was tracking down violent anti-abortion extremists who were hell-bent on blowing up peaceful abortionists. Here is the Public TV show description:

Thou Shalt Not Kill

Operatives try to stop an antiabortion extremist (Lisa Eichhorn) who recently acquired a cache of explosives. Tom Quinn: Matthew MacFadyen. Zoe: Keeley Hawes. Danny: David Oyelowo. Harry Pearce: Peter Firth.

Two thoughts came to mind as I watched these sensible, reasonable investigators and their pursuit of these religious wackos:

1. Oh, yes, it has always been my experience that pro-lifers are uniformly violent and ready to do harm to anyone and everyone in a [misguided] effort to kill abortionists.

2. What a lovely show to put on the air (not just once, but THREE times during this week) in commemoration of the Roe v. Wade anniversary.

The woman playing the part of the anti-abortion would-be bomber seemed to be completely unhinged and hateful (quoting directly from the King James version of the Bible with lots of Thees and Thous). It all seemed very realistic to me, based upon my own experience with those folks who pray in front of abortion mills and who work to stop abortion. Bombing innocent bystanders has always been at the forefront of their efforts!

Give me a break...

P.S. Our little family said a family rosary for an end to abortion last night before the boys went to bed. I'm thinking most pro-lifers are more likely to pray than to bomb.

No comments: