Saturday, January 3, 2009

Company's a-coming!

Today I finally tackled the housework that I have been finding ever so many ways to avoid. Tomorrow afternoon we are having Father Bob over for dinner. We have been looking forward to it for some time... he is so busy, it took about a month for us to get onto his schedule (especially with all the Christmas festivities). So, today I made a list of household tasks I wanted to complete... dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, de-cluttering... you get the picture. I got through most of the list, although I have to say the window washing just didn't quite get there before I ran out of steam.

I also worked on cooking for tomorrow. One of our very favorite dinners is a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa for Beef Burgundy (She spells it the French way). It takes a nice 3-lb roast beef, 1/2 lb. of good bacon, 1 lb each of onions, carrots, pearl onions, and mushrooms, 1 bottle of red wine, 1/2 cup of cognac (set afire -- much fun) and various seasonings, etc. The best part about it is that it is even better made a day in advance; then it is easily reheated on the stove with very little fuss on the day of the dinner.

Also, since I know I won't have time to do much tomorrow other than baking bread, I made dessert -- a family recipe I learned from my husband's step-grandmother, Hilde. It came originally from a very old German cookbook and was called: "Einfache Obsttorte". She then modified it a bit and it has become a family favorite... I think no one makes it anymore from my husband's side of the family. I have shared it with many others, though... it is too good to keep a secret! It is a bit like an apple pie, although the pastry is different and it is made in a springform pan, then glazed with a lemon/powdered sugar glaze while still hot from the oven. Served with freshly whipped heavy cream (not too sweet), it is the best!

Tomorrow morning, we'll be singing again for the Feast of Epiphany. As described in my post from last year about Epiphany, we'll be blessing our home again this year and marking the doorpost with chalk blessed by our rector in Shreveport last year.

I wrote a short article about our little group and submitted it to the North Texas Catholic newspaper. The editor was very nice and replied right away. I don't know that it will be considered newsworthy, but if our story should offer encouragement to another would-be schola director, I'll have done my job!

The torte should be coming out of the oven soon... then it is time for rest! I must say it is nice to have a clean, fragrant smelling home... I should clean house more often!

1 comment:

LuisLiviaLuisa said...

A Holy and Happy Feast of the Epiphany!
I invite you to listen a special episode dedicated to the Feast of the Epiphany of the Lord.
32 minutes of Christmas carols in many languages, something about Russian Christmas also celebrated during this week, a meditation by Father Roberto Mena, some traditions about this feast and much more…
Jesus loves you and Mary too.
Luisa from Lima - Peru
You can listen to it in: http://levantateysalacaminar.podomatic.com
“God is shining forth in the most unwanted and unsuspected places…” St. Anthony Messenger