Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dad's Potato Soup

I know this is not even remotely related to my usual "Gregorian Chant" main topic. But, even schola members have to eat, right? On a cold winter's evening, there is nothing better than homemade soup (imho). A few years ago, when we were living in the Albuquerque, NM area, I got a couple of my father-in-law's soup recipes. Now, this is no simple feat since he scoffs at the idea of following a recipe... so, I had to follow him around while he made it and write everything down (often making him stop so I could get an estimate of quantity).

My husband pronounced tonight's soup a very good facsimile of "Dad's Potato Soup". I'll share:

Dad's Potato Soup

2-3 T. oil (optional)
3 strips bacon, diced
1/2 lb. Polish sausage, sliced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 med. yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic (finely chopped or pressed)
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. beef bouillon granules
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. fresh or dried parsley
2 c. peeled, diced potatoes
2 T. butter, melted
3 T. flour
salt and pepper to taste

Place, bacon, sausage, onion, celery, paprika and oil in soup pot. Braise until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook a minute or so longer. Add in the potatoes, bouillon, bay leaves, vinegar and parsley. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir flour into melted butter to form a thickening paste... stir into the pot until fully integrated. Cook until soup is thickened.

Enjoy!

No comments: