Wednesday, September 10, 2008

C.S. Lewis' Book, The Great Divorce


Whilst picking up the Military History Quarterly for my dear husband, I chanced upon a book I have been wanting to read for some time -- The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis. I read it yesterday in between kids' school subjects. I found it very thought-provoking -- because it is a work of fiction, the underlying theological ideas were woven into the various characters, their actions and words... It was a quick read, yet one that left me thinking about it and the various ideas it held.


I have to wonder how this idea of how a vision of heaven and hell could be (in the book) compares with the vision granted the children of Fatima. This book, along with The Screwtape Letters, really does give another way of looking at sin, forgiveness, love, how someone could choose hell over heaven, how one could be happy in heaven even if a loved-one chooses hell...


I liked the book very much and think I'll read this one again...

1 comment:

Scelata said...

As someone who is geographically illiterate, I needed to look up maps on line-- I was worried, but I take it you are far enough inland that the hurricane poses no threat?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)