Sunday, November 30, 2008

Advent begins again!


Just a short entry today... we had our first Schola Mass at San Mateo this morning. I was very proud of our group and thought they sounded great. We sang the following:
Introit: Ad te levavi
Alleluia -- simple chanted English verse
Offertory: Alma Redemptoris Mater
Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
Sanctus XVIII
Our Father -- chanted in English
Agnus Dei XVIII
Communion: Dominus dabit
Closing: Veni Emmanuel

It was well-received by the parishioners, I think. I submitted my plan for the Christmas season today as well...

We are taking it very slowly and gradually. I heard a lot of parishioners singing the ordinaries this morning. I am hoping the same will happen at Christmas, when we add in the Kyrie and Gloria from Mass setting VIII. I realize these are ordinaries could be replaced by others that are perhaps more beautiful and less commonly heard. But... I think the idea of taking things slowly and allowing the folks in the parish to have a certain comfort level with the basic ordinaries before we start modifying will help it to have a long-lasting effect.

1 comment:

Mary Jane Ballou said...

Hooray for your schola! Take a minute or two to pat yourselves on the back(s).

I think slow and solid is the way to go. Singers need security on the lines. Their confidence then radiates out into the pews and encourages the singers out there.

Again, congratulations!